Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Life is full of little annoyances; people cutting you off on the freeway, someone on their cell phone in line at the grocery store, or a roommate not doing their dishes, case and point-life is irritating.  I'm the first to admit that at one time or another I have been irritated past the point of sanity with most of this planet's inhabitants, but I'm also amazing at how bent out of shape people get over silly things.  People, life is too short to sweat the small stuff!

Seriously, what does it matter if the kitchen is left a mess once in awhile?  True, I have been annoyed by a dirty dish or two or twenty left in the sink before but I try not to let it get to me.  There's so much more to life than looking for the negative everywhere you go, if you look for the negative that's what you're going to find.

Now, I'm not saying that it's not totally acceptable and necessary to have moments of frustration, let's face it, mankind was not made to have one emotion and one emotion only, but I am saying to try not to let frustration rule your life.  As cliche as it sounds, just take a deep breath and count to ten.

Everyone has pet peeves, everyone knows someone or something that pushes their every button, everyone has things that get under their skin and drives them crazy, but it's important to pause and take a good look at the situation, is it worth getting upset about?  Sure, your roommate sheds like a tabby cat, but is that hair all over the bathroom sink really worth a confrontation?  I'm willing to guess that it's not.

Pick your battles wisely, my friends.  If you fight the wrong battle on the wrong day, you just might not only lose the war, but a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment