Friday, December 4, 2009

Thankful

Thanksgiving has come and gone and is now a week in the past, however the spirit of the holiday should live on. Who says we should only express gratitude one day a year?  Even for all of it's problems this world is pretty amazing 365 days a year.

In a society where we are defined by possessions, shouldn't one take stalk and look at the blessings in their life and not look at what's missing?  Does that make sense to anyone else?  I want to take this opportunity to do just that, I want to name a few things I know I am grateful for and maybe some of you are too, you've just forgotten.

1) America.  True, this country has some problems and it doesn't matter if you agree 100 percent with the politics right now, this nation is truly a gift.  We have a history to be proud of, the foundations of America are sure and beautiful.  Try not to forget the pride we felt in America as children, the good in America is still out there.

2) Technology.  I cannot even fathom what the next stage in technological development will be, we already have it all.  I have my entire music collection on a device smaller than my hand, I can talk to anyone, anywhere with my phone that isn't connected to anything, I can open a search engine and learn about any obscure topic under the sun in seconds, I can take pictures and put them on my profile so I can stay connected with family and friends hundreds of miles away, I can play virtual baseball or tennis in my living room by waving a game remote around.

3) Education.  It's a long, painful (at times) road, but when it's all said and done I'll be moving into adulthood armed and ready to become a (hopefully) productive member of society.

4) Family and Friends.  These people are my world.  My family is always on my side, cheering me on, wanting me to be the best I can be.  Not every family is perfect but every family is worth loving.  Friends are an extended family of sorts and good friends are invaluable.

5) God.  It doesn't matter which God you pray to or in what building you worship, God is there.  He loves you, He leads you and He will never leave you.  I am grateful for the relationship I have with my God, I truly do love him.

The list could go on and on; love, money, nature, shelter, cars, etc.  and that leads to a challenge, take some time and think of the things you were grateful for one week ago on Thanksgiving and return to those thoughts often.  Instead of focusing on what is missing from life, focus on what life is full of and I guarantee that life will appear more beautiful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment